Like many others, you landed on this website because you have come to prefer the strong taste of a cappuccino much more than a regular cup of coffee and want to find the best espresso machine for your home.
An espresso machine works by brewing thick, concentrated coffee by forcing hot, pressurized water through a stack of ground coffee and filter.
Our goal with this website is to help you find the best home espresso machine for your needs.
If you’re looking to get into home brewing for the first time or just want some recommendations on buying a new espresso machine, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll help you find the best cappuccino maker that fits your taste and budget.
A Quick Introduction to Espresso Machines
Unlike a coffee maker (which uses a dripping mechanism to brew a cup of joe) an espresso machine works instead by forcing very hot water through finely ground coffee known as a “puck.” This process causes the liquid to become thicker than regular coffee. In the end, this cappuccino also forms froth, known as “crema,” on top of the drink as a result of emulsifying the oils in the coffee into a colloid.
A fact that many people get backwards is that an espresso shot actually has less caffeine than cup of coffee (40-75 mg as compared to 80-185 mg.) If daily caffeine intake is a concern to you, then an espresso machine is a great investment.
Finally, when trying to find the best home espresso maker for your needs, you’re going to have to consider what type of drive mechanism you want it to use to make the beverage. Not all espresso machines operate in the same way, and the strength and taste of the drink is affected by the operation it uses to produce it.
For further explanation about the device drive mechanism, keep reading below.
Important Features Regarding Home Espresso Machines
As we mentioned earlier in this post, home espresso makers utilize several different drive mechanisms to produce the cappuccino.
While there are actually four main types of espresso machines, for home use you really only need to be concerned with two:
- Steam-Driven Espresso Machine
This device is very attractive to many consumers because of the low price ($30-$70). But, it’s important that you know that instead of making real espresso, it actually just produces very strong coffee.A steam-driven machine works by forcing stteam pressure through the coffee grounds to make the beverage. Because the temperature of steam and pressure is inconsistent, it’s impossible to generate thick crema.If you’re serious about brewing a cup of espresso, we suggest that you not buy this type of machine.
- Pump-Driven Espresso Machine
For making real espresso, this is the type of device you want.This espresso machine makes a true cappuccino by pumping water from the boiler and forcing it through the coffee puck. When you walk into a coffee house that serves espresso, this is the type of machine you’ll see.There are several variations in a pump-driven espresso maker:
- Semi-Automatic: This is the most popular pump-driven espresso machines among enthusiasts. Home brewers love this device because the quality of each cup is controlled by the you. You also control the amount of pump. It does not come with a coffee bean grinder, so you’ll have to grind and tamp them into the portafilter yourself.
- Automatic: This type of machine is great for people who want a easy solution for a cup of self-brewed espresso without having to get their hands dirty. The pump controls itself with the push of a button and coffee is supplied in a pod or capsule form. The only drawback to this device is that you are limited to the flavor selections by the manufacturer.
- Super Automatic: This is the top of the line, best home espresso machine. People are most attracted to this machine because it does everything for you: stores the beans, grinds them, brews and self-cleans. Just choose a few settings, hit a button and let it go. The most expensive units also contain a built-in milk frother. If you want an espresso machine that is hassle free, yet produces a high quality beverage, then this is your best option.